Milk

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

sunnyhouselife
Staff Member
Staff Member

Milk

Post by sunnyhouselife »

Milk is considered practically a complete food and consequently is rather complex in nature. Considering only the major milk components: the lactose (Milk Sugar) and some of the minerals salts are in true solution; the milk proteins of which casein predominates in the form of calcium, caseinate, along with lactalbumin and lactoglobulim as well as some of the calcium phosphate, exist in colloidal suspension; whereas the fat exists in macroscopic dispersion in the milk plasma. Besides theses major components milk also contains carotinoid pigments, whey pigment, lactic acid, vitamins and enzymes.
Since cow’s milk is the milk most commonly I\used as a human food, therefore it will be the only type discussed. the following table gives the average composition of cow’s milk and milk products.
AJKOER
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by AJKOER »

Actually I (and my family) avoid Milk as in the USA it is most likely filled with synthetic hormones (why are high school kids so much bigger these days and girls 'developing' at such an early age?) and god knows what else that has been 'approved' to feed and fatten livestock (not to mention the antibiotics). Also, those countries with highest diary consumption have the highest problems with Calcium deficiency as the Ca in milk is not easily processed by humans. I am sorry, but for African Americans, they just can't deal with it. In short, Milk should be avoided in favor of Rice Milk, Almond Milk, Coconut Milk and last, in my order of health preference, Soy Milk. Note, all of these substitutes do not spoil like Milk. Also, the casein (used in the manufacture of glue) referenced above is a big problem as it coats your intestine and obstructs the absorption of minerals. In summary my honest opinion is that Milk is (well, use to be) good for cows, period.
ajkoer