Plate copper wire with iron by electrolysis

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

smile

Plate copper wire with iron by electrolysis

Post by smile »

hi, does anyone know what kind of sollution (My question is, what kind of electrolyte can I use? I would prefer something easily available if possible from ordinary household chemicals, is this feasible?) I need in order to plate copper wire with iron?

I know I neet to connect iron wire with - terminal and coper wire to the + terminal. I use 12volt battery.
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

Why do you need to plate copper with iron? Doesn't make much sense to me. Use FeSO4 if you really need to. If not available, make by dissolving a nail in HCl (FeCl2 will do to) or diluted 20% H2SO4. Remove the wire quickly after plating and wash with water. Otherwise the iron layer will quickly dissolve back in the acid.
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.
smile

Post by smile »

I want to try to make soldering tip for my iron. It is made from copper plated with IRON to prevent solder from "eating" the copper tip.

Are my terminals connection correct?
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

OK, I've got it. It makes sense as long as you put a good layer of iron over the copper tip. You can easily test right polarity by immersing both electrodes made of copper wire into iron (II) salt solution. You will see one electrode turning black or grey - that's the right one. The problem is that in many cases the metal may precipitate in a "sponge" form and do not create a good mechanical protection.
Another problem is that iron may not be a good layer for molten soldering alloy. Usually phosphoric acid or other specialized flux required to clean iron surface from stubborn oxide layer before it can be covered with molten soldering alloy.
If I were you, I would reserve a set of copper tips and change them as needed.
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.