Isopropyl Alcohol Azeotrope, where can I find it?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Organic Solvent

Isopropyl Alcohol Azeotrope, where can I find it?

Post by Organic Solvent »

Hello,
Some time ago, I spoke to an electrical engineer about how using alcohol on PCBs to clean of flux residue worked well, but left some small, white, particulate matter behind. Less particles with 90% IPA. He suggested that I purchase an azeotrope (I think is the word that he used), of IPA. As in, an ion free container of IPA.
At the time, the world was in turmoil and IPA prices were through the roof, so I waited for them to come back down.

Now that I search online for this stuff, I cannot find it. I tried the CAS number, the name, everything I could think up. I managed to find anhydrous IPA, but I'm not sure that's what I'm looking for.

So, is 99% pure IPA what I'm looking for? Or maybe you know better how to search?

Thanks!

PS: I cannot ask the EE as both of us are not part of the social circle where we were speaking of the matter. Why is another, long, story.
I'm not educated in chemistry currently. I may become so in the future. I'm asking here when I need to understand something and others IRL don't have an answer or are unsure.

I probably don't want the chemical reaction formula, just a basic description.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Isopropyl Alcohol Azeotrope, where can I find it?

Post by ChenBeier »

An azeotrop is a mixture of 2 or 3 compounds, which cannot separate at a certain temperature by destillation.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope_tables

For IPA (2-Propanole) it is 87,7% w.w and boiling point is 80,4° C

For your purpose for cleaning something buy 80% to 90% IPA, that is what the electrical engineer meant. 99% pure is to expensive. No need.