Chemical Reaction question

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

comtecfire

Chemical Reaction question

Post by comtecfire »

We are a company that is about to do a fire safety plan for a water treatment plant.
There are four chemicals in large containers in this building;
1) approximately 1000 gallons of Sodium Hypochlorite
2) approximately 1000 gallons of Sodium Hydroxide
3) approximately 1000 gallons of Aluminum Chrorohydrate
4) Water from fire department hoses or fire sprinkler heads

If these chemicals mix, what chemical reaction would occur?

I understand that spaying water on Sodium Hydroxide will create heat, which could in turn cause a rupture of the Aluminum Chrorohydrate container, which could rupture the third container.

What we are looking for is higher levels of Hydrogen gas or a chemical that may ignite or explode.

Thank you to anyone for the chemical formula for the combination, and any information on the chemical reaction.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Chemical Reaction question

Post by ChenBeier »

The sodium hydroxide is already a solution and no solid material, it is dissolved in water, so there is no heat and a mixture of these chemical is also no problem. The aluminium chlorhydrate will get precipitation of aluminium hydroxide. There is no reaction creating hydrogen.
Hypochlorite and aluminium chlorohydrate can create chlorine gas if mixed, is the only risk.
comtecfire

Post by comtecfire »

HI,

when water is sprayed or poured on Caustic Soda it creates an exothermic reaction. I believe its fine if caustic soda is added into water though. Youtube has a video that shows what happens when water is poured on to it.

What we need to know is what happens when they are are combined and what is the chemical formula for this reaction

Also, an aluminum precipitate is also bad since caustic soda on aluminum will create hydrogen gas
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Again you saying you have a 1000 gallon container of sodium hydroxide. Gallon means its already a liquid. So there is no heat anymore because the NaOH is already dissolved in water.
If you would have solid NaOH its stored in drums or bags. The weight is given not a volume. This of cause create heat if water poured on it.

The aluminium here is not the metal, its a salt AlCl3 x 6 H2O and this is also dissolved in water already. There is no way to create Hydrogen.
The precipitate is Aluminium hydroxide Al(OH)3 if it mixed with NaOH.
comtecfire

Post by comtecfire »

Ok fair enough, but what is the formula for all 3 added together?

Also, we just want to know if the three added together will have any effect with fire, other than the chlorine gas?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Nothing will burning
Reaction of the NaOH and Aluminiumchlorhydrate
AlCl3 x 6 H2O + 3 NaOH => Al(OH)3(s) + 3 NaCl + 6 H2O precipitation
Hypochlorite + Chloride
CLO- + Cl- + H2O => Cl2 + 2 OH- Chlorine development, especially the solution get acidic
Hypochlorite and NaOH no reaction

For a safety plan I would take the MSDS from the supplier of each component and consider the scenarios.
So if you have for example aluminium or zinc metal, this react with NaOH to hydrogen, if get in contact.
I would be more aware about the corrosive behaviour of each compound to material and human or animals.
comtecfire

Post by comtecfire »

HI,

We are aware of the gas from this and fire departments will wear breathing apparatus during an emergency while in the building. We always include MSDS sheets with this type of fire plan.

I see that you added 2 chemicals with water, but my only concern is what is the formula if all three of the following chemicals mix in some emergency issue or did i misread what you wrote.

1) approximately 1000 gallons of Sodium Hypochlorite
2) approximately 1000 gallons of Sodium Hydroxide
3) approximately 1000 gallons of Aluminum Chlorohydrate

From what i'm reading, you're basically saying that no explosive properties such as hydrogen gas occurring, and there are no problems other than possible bursting containers, gas issues and maybe even sprinkler head problems from Sodium Hydroxide or Chlorine gas if the heads are brass / bronze.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

If you mix everything the NaOH neutralize it.