Best way to evenly mixing white mineral oil with water

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

dod

Best way to evenly mixing white mineral oil with water

Post by dod »

Which is a better way to evenly mix white mineral oil and water and emulsifier to get the best emulsification, moving spatula around in a container containing mixture or shaking it inside an airtight container?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Best way to evenly mixing white mineral oil with water

Post by ChenBeier »

Good stirring with a electrical stirrer should be ok. Add water, then emulsifier and at the end the oil.
danielhorak

Re: Best way to evenly mixing white mineral oil with water

Post by danielhorak »

Both work well, although I prefer, as stated, the electric stirrer. Using a spatula to mix the oil and water can be effective, but it may not achieve the same level of emulsification as shaking, or at least from my experience. The key is to start with water, then emulsifier, and then oil.
Chemistry is like cooking..I am not good at it, but I love it!