Hydrogen Bonding

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Reizzit

Hydrogen Bonding

Post by Reizzit »

Our chemistry teacher has taught us the in NaHCO3 bicarbonate form infinite chain due to hydrogen bonding and kHCO3 carbonate form a dimer anion whats the difference between KHCO3 and NaHCO3's bicarbonate ion? Is this chain and dimer formation happens in water or it could also happens in solid and gas forms?
And I have also a little confusion that i could tell which type of hybridisation happening in a particular molecule but i cant tell if hybridisation happend or not? I cant differentiate between hybridisation atom and non hybridised atom. Thank you for your help and english is not my first language if you didnt understand some bit
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Hydrogen Bonding

Post by ChenBeier »

It is a matter of crystalisation. Pottasium is bigger then sodium.
This chain is formed only in solid compound. In solution we have enough water to destroy it by hydrogen bonds to it.
Some information

https://chemistry.stackexchange.com/que ... carbonates

Hybridisation takes place, of enough free orbitals present and electrons can move.

Standard: s-Orbital with 2 electrons and 3 p-Orbital with 2 electrons and one free orbital move to sp3, all 4 orbitals are equal.
superplast123

Re: Hydrogen Bonding

Post by superplast123 »

Hydrogen bonding is a special type of dipole-dipole attraction between molecules, not a covalent bond to a hydrogen atom. It results from the attractive ...