Grill cleaner. Trying to understand and choose wisely.

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Organic Solvent

Grill cleaner. Trying to understand and choose wisely.

Post by Organic Solvent »

Hello,

So in the selection of various grill cleaners you can buy, the active ingredient tends to be:
Surfactant, which you can get in other household cleaners.
Lye, (sodium hydroxide) which is too caustic for me to use on my grill -- which looks like stainless steel but the rust spots tell a different tale.
An ether, which is an organic solvent.
An ammonia, which as I understand is a generally good cleaner so long as you don't inhale it.
A "super powerful bleach", potassium hydroxide. Which is also too caustic.
Isopropanol, an alcohol.
And butane.

So, I'm thinking either the alcohol, butane, or ammonia.

I'd like to understand, is butane a good cleaner? How? I mean, it's lighter fluid.
Is butane a good thing to use health wise? (For the easily concerned, I'm not going to drink it or something stupid, of course.)

The alcohol formula also contains a butane in the from of isobutane. Is one more effective at cleaning or safer than the other?

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

PS: When I say "safer" I am (obviously) not asking for professional medical advise. I'm saying, "In your own experience with you're own understanding of chemistry."
I'm not educated in chemistry currently. I may become so in the future. I'm asking here when I need to understand something and others IRL don't have an answer or are unsure.

I probably don't want the chemical reaction formula, just a basic description.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Grill cleaner. Trying to understand and choose wisely.

Post by ChenBeier »

Butane is not a cleaner. It is a gas, what is used for lighters, campingburners, table fireplace, etc.
Organic Solvent

kingsford.png
kingsford.png (34.11 KiB) Viewed 2888 times
Well, it's the second ingredient in the brand-name Kingsford grill cleaner.
The fourth is propane.
I can't imagine why they'd need these in the mixture.
I kinda assumed they aided in the cleaning process somehow -- instead of just being there because Kingsford refused to buy compressed air.

PS: Isn't butane, aka lighter fluid, a liquid? I mean, I've seen fluid in the clear plastic packages of those long nosed lighters.
I'm not educated in chemistry currently. I may become so in the future. I'm asking here when I need to understand something and others IRL don't have an answer or are unsure.

ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

How it is used. As a spray ? The gases are the propellents.
Organic Solvent

Yes, as a spray.
I thought they'd have used compressed air instead of compressed flammable gases.

cherry

Post by cherry »

I know the active ingredients of four cleaners -metal cleaning surfactants, namely LS48 metal cleaning surfactant, LS202 stainless steel cleaner, LS206E ultrasonic non-foaming cleaning agent, and LS metal cleaning agent series. Among them, LS48 metal cleaning surfactant is an important surfactant of normal temperature water-based metal cleaning agent, which is non-toxic, harmless and non-corrosive. Depending on the material of your grill, choose wisely a cleaner with the right active ingredients.