Question about a titration procedure

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

braziliandreamer

Question about a titration procedure

Post by braziliandreamer »

Have you already been presented to the theory of "third medium" of a burette on a titration? I'm not sure but I don't think this makes sense. Some teachers say the volume of solution from the substance must be at the third medium of a burette after a titration (complete neutralizarion, complete oxirreduction etc). I am not sure but it doesnt make sense to me.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Question about a titration procedure

Post by ChenBeier »

What should be this third Medium. The titration solution in the burette is dissolved in water normaly, like NaOH, HCl, KMnO4, etc. And the substance to determine in the Erlenmeyer flask or beaker glas as well.
braziliandreamer

I think you will understand better now what I meant

http://i.ibb.co/55s0w7r/A1213-A64-343-A ... 226536.jpg

Consider the burette is divided into equal parts.
See that I demarcated the third medium. The teachers say that after a titration has reached the end point, the volume should be at the third medium of the burette. Some say this occurs because of the liquid adhesion to glass, but I don't think it matters. Also all the burette have margin error to consider, so it matters even less to me.

Remove the spaces between the link of image
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Simple No. I can't figure out what your drawing should be.
braziliandreamer

Hmm I'll try to explain just with words then.
Consider a burette of 50 mL. Divide it into 3:
50/3 = 16,67

So we have 3 parts of 16,67 mL

We have part 1 at the bottom of the burette, part 2 at the medium and part 3 at the top.

If you use 20 mL of reagent, you "fall" into the third medium (30 mL) of the burette which ranges from 16,67 and 33,33.

So on the standardization of NaOH, we have NaOH in the burette and HCl on the erlenmeyer flask
The unknown (actual) concentration of NaOH must be determined.
mol OH- = mol H+
x mol/L.20,00mL = 0,1 mol/L.25mL hcl aliq

So the actual concentration of NaOH would be 0,125 mol/L and with more precision. But I don't think it makes sense.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

So on the standardization of NaOH, we have NaOH in the burette and HCl on the erlenmeyer flask
The unknown (actual) concentration of NaOH must be determined.
mol OH- = mol H+
x mol/L.20,00mL = 0,1 mol/L.25mL hcl aliq
In this case its the opposit. The known concentration HCl is in the burette the unknown NaOH in the beaker.

The Medium discussion is nonsense, because the concentration is in the whole burette from top over medium to bottom the same.