Isolation of Molybdenum Metal from MoO3

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Noblenaga

Isolation of Molybdenum Metal from MoO3

Post by Noblenaga »

I’ve been looking around online to get a solid answer but can’t find a safe easy to deal with (not necessarily simple) way of taking away oxide from MoO3 and obtaining pure Mo. I’m starting with NaMoO4, adding nitric acid to produce insoluble MoO3, I would just do the aluminum chloride deposit trick with MoO3 and hydrochloride, but it produces chlorine gas and water which hydrolyzes the MoCl back to oxide and hcl. Are there any salts who’s metal has a Pauling electronegativity above that of molybdenum, such as maybe lead chloride, that is known to produce MoCl. Or if there’s some other simpler way of separating the Mo from oxide, Thanks for reading
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Isolation of Molybdenum Metal from MoO3

Post by ChenBeier »

In my knowledge it can only obtained pure, if MoO3 or MoO2 is reduced with hydrogen at 1100°C.

Other possibilities is by Thermit reaction like iron does.
MoO3 + 2 Al => Al2O3 + Mo