Thermochemistry Help

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

MP206

Thermochemistry Help

Post by MP206 »

I need help with this problem.
This was a quiz for 9th grade Chemistry Honors. I'm totally confused. Can anybody answer it? I posted it in another website and I haven't gotten a reply yet. Thank you in advance!

3 MgO + 2 Fe --> 3 Mg + Fe2O3 DeltaHrxn= -47,524 kJ/molrxn

The reaction above is utilized by campers to recycle their drinking water by distilling it (heating the water to 105oC steam) and collecting the steam in a separate container to cool and ready to drink. The waste water tank holds the water at 25oC. The tank itself has a mass of 12g with a specific heat of 3.17J/goC - the melting point of the plastic is well above 105oC. Assume that the water and tank are at the same initial temperature. If the camper contains 192,276g of iron, how much water will they be able to distill?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Thermochemistry Help

Post by ChenBeier »

What are your own ideas.

From the chemical equation and the mass of iron the heat energy can be obtained. You have to consider the heatup boiling Temperatur . My question how 105° C steam temperature can be obtained. The pressure must higher as normal conditions.
Have to consider heat capacity of water and the plastic material of the Container.
Maybe this help

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wate ... _1573.html
MP206

Re: Thermochemistry Help

Post by MP206 »

Thank you for your answer, but I have no idea, that's why I posted the question here. :D I'm trying to help somebody understand this, because this was a question in a quiz, but this type of problem hadn't been seen in class. I studied Chemistry in high school 4o years ago to this day, didn't like it, and it was the only time in my life I needed a tutor to pass the exam. I'm not going to study now. If I get an answer, I will try to digest it, and explain it to this kid. If you can help me, I'll appreciate it.