Mineral Ash

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

z a b

Mineral Ash

Post by z a b »

Hi there,

I would like your assistance in the following questions, for which I failed to find an answer on my own:
1. Suppose I burn some edible plants in 600 degrees celsius. Will the remaining mineral ash contain minerals such as magnesium, potassium, etc. in their natural, inorganic form?
2. Magnesium, for example. is known to react with oxygen in the air, to create MgO, among others. Is it likely for the aforementioned mineral ash specifically to react in such a way with the air when left in a container for a week?

Many thanks!
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Mineral Ash

Post by ChenBeier »

If you burn plants, the minerals will remaining mostly as carbonates and oxides. Potash for example is potassium carbonate K2CO3. So you also can find Soda sodium carbonate Na2CO3, lime calciumcarbonate CaCO3 and also Magnesa magnesiumcarbonate MgCO3. With higher temperature these carbonates can decompose to the oxides like MgO, CaO K2O, Na2O.