Stoichiometry

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

brwhite

Stoichiometry

Post by brwhite »

2.914 grams of aqueous magnesium sulfide reacts with 11.227 grams of aqueous titanium (iv) nitrate.

1.) Predict the products and balance the equation.
---I came up with this as the answer--- 4MgS+Ti(NO3)4 = 4Mg(NO3)+TiS4 with Mg(NO3) and TiS4 being the predicted products

2.) Use a solubility chart to determine which products are insoluble. Add correct states of matter to your equation.

3.) Using the given amounts of reactants determine the following:
a) limiting and excess reactants
b) amount of solid product that can be made in both moles and grams
c)% yield (when a student did this in a lab, they got 1.15 grams of product)

I've tried looking into reactions between MgS and Ti(NO3)4 but haven't managed to find much of anything on it. I also can't find anything on TiS4 and instead get information on TiS2 when I try looking it up. So any help in solving this assignment would be greatly appreciated!
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Stoichiometry

Post by ChenBeier »

Check the oxidation number of Mg and also sulfur. There you have the errors.