Stoichiometry

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Location: Mumbai[Bombay] and Mumbai Suburb,, Maharashtra State,India

Stoichiometry

Post by Dhamnekar Winod »

The antiseptic tincture of iodine is a solution of iodine and KI in ethyl alcohol(CH3CH2OH). When a sample of tincture of iodine weighing 5.000 g is diluted with water and titrated with 0.1500 M Na2S2O3 solution, 19.75 mL of the latter is required. The reaction is

I2 + 2 Na2S2O3 → 2NaI + Na2S4O6

What is the weight percentage of I2 in the sample?

My answer: 19.75 mL of Na2S2O3 is 0.0029625 mol of Na2S2O3. So it requires 0.00148125 mol of I2. Molar mass of I2 =253.8 g.

So, we get 0.37594125 g per 5.000 g of sample of tincture of iodine. So, the weight percentage of I2 in the sample is 7.519 %
Any science consists of the following process. 1) See 2)Hear 3)Smell,if needed 4)Taste, if needed 5)Think 6)Understand 7)Inference 8)Take decision [Believe or disbelieve, useful or useless, true or false, cause or effect, any other criteria]
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Stoichiometry

Post by ChenBeier »

Correct if the free I2 is meant. As described its a solution of I2 and KI what means KI3, then the iodine of the salt is missing.
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Location: Mumbai[Bombay] and Mumbai Suburb,, Maharashtra State,India

Post by Dhamnekar Winod »

A solution of iodine and KI in ethyl alcohol means what. Would you give me examples of iodine of salt?
Last edited by Dhamnekar Winod on Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any science consists of the following process. 1) See 2)Hear 3)Smell,if needed 4)Taste, if needed 5)Think 6)Understand 7)Inference 8)Take decision [Believe or disbelieve, useful or useless, true or false, cause or effect, any other criteria]
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Here we have potassium triiodide

https://pubchem.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/compou ... onohydrate

It is made by iodine and potassium iodide.

The whole compound is dissolved in alcohol.