Master thesis: emulsion (milky color) formation LTDC/HTDC

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

EDC guy

Master thesis: emulsion (milky color) formation LTDC/HTDC

Post by EDC guy »

Dear Sir/Madam

I'm doing my masters thesis about the purification of ethylene dichloride (DCE) in a low temperature direct chlorination process for the university of Leuven and Hasselt, Belgium. In general, little literature can be found about the next problem that arises in the process.

To maintain a good iron/salt concentration in the mother liquid of a high temperature direct chlorination (HTDC) reactor, it is possible to discharge to the washing process of the low temperature direct chlorination process (LTDC). This purge of the HTDC is then washed through 5 washing vessels (2 acid washing vessels, 2 lye washing vessels and 1 demineralized water washing vessels). If this happens, the level measurements will be defective because a milky (colour) emulsion occurs and no separation is achieved. The aim of my master's thesis is to find a solution to counteract this emulsion. It is already known that this is probably caused by a high molecular weight component that is formed as a by-product in the HTDC.

But no solution has yet been found to avoid this problem. The current solution is excess washing with water until this emulsion is gone. Which is not economically beneficial.

My question is whether anyone have experienced similar problems before. And/or anyone have a solution for this emulsion formation.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Bruno Geens

MSc industrial engineering Chemistry (Sustainable Process Technology and Polymers)
clowderradish

Re: Master thesis: emulsion (milky color) formation LTDC/HTDC

Post by clowderradish »

I think this is quite an interesting phenomenon. Hope someone can explain it in more detail.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Master thesis: emulsion (milky color) formation LTDC/HTDC

Post by ChenBeier »

Its more then 1 year old question. No answer so far.