BC Fire Extinguisher Powder

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

asadkhan003

BC Fire Extinguisher Powder

Post by asadkhan003 »

I have a question if you will kindly help me out.
i am trying to make fire fighting powder which is to be use on B and C class fires. I have tried many things but as compare to pre-made chemicals(available in market) the results are not 100% by means of flow/volume/water resistance and cost efficient.

The main physical property of fire extinguisher powder is: the flow show be great and by mixing in water it should not dissolve in water.

Things i have tried.

potassium gluconate 88.75 parts
barium sulfate 10.00 parts
silicone oil 0.50 parts
aerosil R 972 (Degussa) 0.75 parts

ammonium sulfate 39.0 parts
barium sulfate 10.0 parts
potassium gluconate 10.5 parts
silicone oil 0.3 parts
aerosil 1.2 parts

sodium chloride 55 to 65 percent
magnesium chloride 30 to 45 percent
calcium chloride 0 to 8 percent

Barrium sulfate 58
Potassium bicarbonate 20
sodium bicarbonate 20
str 2

etc

Keeping in mind that when we pour BC Extinguisher powder and stir, it does not get mixed. I have talked with few local manufacturers they said that they are using two - three chemicals but it is confidential to tell the names.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: BC Fire Extinguisher Powder

Post by ChenBeier »

I dont know what you realy want. A fire extinguisher has to work. They have to bought from companies who are responsible for correct work. Also after 2 years they have to exchanged and tested. Your home brew mixtures without any knowledge are to dangerous of male function.
And if companies don't tell the secrets, here in the forum we will also not do.
asadkhan003

Post by asadkhan003 »

ChenBeier wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:50 am I dont know what you realy want. A fire extinguisher has to work. They have to bought from companies who are responsible for correct work. Also after 2 years they have to exchanged and tested. Your home brew mixtures without any knowledge are to dangerous of male function.
And if companies don't tell the secrets, here in the forum we will also not do.
I am not trying to sell it, its for study and yearly task that we have to complete. as a matter of fact i am successful 90% but by means of hydrophobic, flow and volume mine are not the same. On internet there are thousand of patents but they are missing some parts.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Well, this information I think you will not get only if working in one of the manufactor companies. But even then the receipe is in the safe by the Boss.
asadkhan003

Post by asadkhan003 »

ChenBeier wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:24 am Well, this information I think you will not get only if working in one of the manufactor companies. But even then the receipe is in the safe by the Boss.
well can anyone tell me how to make a chemical hydrophobic and anti caking? currently i am using stearate but its not cost efficient. or is there any two chemicals that mix together to form hydrophobic property?