Terbium doped gadolinium oxysulfide

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

mukapaul022

Terbium doped gadolinium oxysulfide

Post by mukapaul022 »

Dear All, please can anyone tell or work out the elemental composition and percentage by weight of Gd2O2S: Tb (Terbium doped gadolinium oxysulfide) for me. Many thanks
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Terbium doped gadolinium oxysulfide

Post by ChenBeier »

I dont know what you like to know. The Formula is given Gd2O2S. With the molar mass of the compound it is 378,5 g/mol and the molar mass of each element Gd 157,25 g/mol, O = 16 g/mol and S = 32 g/mol you can get the percentage: Gd 83,1% O 8,45% and S also 8,45%, the summery is 100%.
Your doping with Terbium is unknown. But if you know that you can have Tb2O2S or GdTbO2S and can do similar calculation.
mukapaul022

Post by mukapaul022 »

The chemical formula is Gd2O2S:Tb meaning certain amount of impurity is added to Gd2O2S. So how can I determine the amount of percentage by weight of each element in the inorganic scintillator compound?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

The calculation I have given above. The determination of gadolinium and other rare earth elements is with ICP-MS, ICP-AES or XFA possible.