Calculating yield of a product in percentage %

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

hananism

Calculating yield of a product in percentage %

Post by hananism »

Good evening! :)
The reaction in the attached image is a reaction I run in the laboratory with those same written quantities (in grams)/ volumes (in mL).
And in the report they ask us to write the mass of the product, the moles and the yield in %.
The yield is a new thing for me, I looked in the internet and I found out that we should first know what we call the actual yield and calculate what we call the theoretical yield.. when I wanted to do so, I just got confused in the calculations and didn't know which values I need to use to finally get the percentage Yield % of the product (which is number (4) in the reaction), and how to do it.

I would be very thankful if you help me with this!
Much respect!
Attachments
yeld in percentage for the product.jpg
yeld in percentage for the product.jpg (102.09 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Calculating yield of a product in percentage %

Post by ChenBeier »

First the equation is not balanced.
The p-Methoxyacetophenone and the toluene react 1:1
So you have to calculate the moles of each component and calculate what is in excess .
What has the lower value drives the reaction.
This amount gives moles of the product. Calculated with the molar mass gives the mass of the product. Theoretically.
Then compare the mass of the product what was obtained practically and devide it by the theoretical mass times 100% gives the yield.