Determining what reaction is more favourable

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: expert, ChenBeier, Xen

Post Reply
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2021 9:05 am

Determining what reaction is more favourable

Post by JArchy »

I am doing a project at the minute with three reactions occurring. The reactions include:

CH4 + H2O --> CO + 3H2... Step 1
CO + H20 <--> CO2 + H2... Step 2
CH4 + 2H2O <--> CO2 + 4H2... Step 3

My lecturer and I have assumed the first reaction has a CH4 conversion of 95% with the flow rate of both the CH4 and H2O being 134.4753 mol/s. If I have the 95% conversion, I am wondering how much H2O would be provided to each of the other two steps; that is assuming the other 5% of the CH4 is going to the other steps.
User avatar
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Posts: 1004
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:25 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: Determining what reaction is more favourable

Post by ChenBeier »

First, Step 2 doesnt consume methane, so the yield could be everything of this one, called x%.
Second, Step 3 is the summery of step 1 and 2, so it would be (95% * x%)/100%.
In practise it has to be checked how much CO2 in comparison of H2 is obtained.
Post Reply