Can We Burn Diamond?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Warner Mortensen

Can We Burn Diamond?

Post by Warner Mortensen »

Who doesn’t love playing games and experimenting with new things? Every subject can be turned into an enjoyable game for everyone of every age. Especially Math, (https://mytutorsource.com/blog/cool-mat ... -for-kids/) and Chemistry. A few days ago, My brother and I were experimenting with graphite, and I came to the thought of whether We could light diamonds on fire or not. What I think is that, yes, we can do it. Carbon combustion is the most common type of burning in everyday life. Carbon atoms break their bonds and other atoms (which requires energy) to create bonds with oxygen atoms in carbon combustion (which releases even more energy than first required). The excess energy released in this reaction can either be used to rip more carbon atoms free from their non-oxygen neighbors, continuing the reaction, or it can be dissipated as heat and light. The waste products of combustion include carbon dioxide and carbon monoxide, which are formed when carbon bonds with oxygen. As gases, they move away from the fire.
If you are patient and rich, you can experiment at home. Just take a tiny bit of diamond, which alone can cost a lot of money, but if you can afford it, take it and place it on a small burning flame and wait for a few days. This can be made quickly using high ignited flames instead of a regular burner.
4kShane

Re: Can We Burn Diamond?

Post by 4kShane »

Nile Red did this to make CO2 for carbonated water. Here's the vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0wvDwSnzcw
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Can We Burn Diamond?

Post by ChenBeier »

Please dont answer to 3 year old thread.