What does it equal to NaHCO3 + H2O + C2H4O2 = ?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Spider-Trekie

What does it equal to NaHCO3 + H2O + C2H4O2 = ?

Post by Spider-Trekie »

When we doing balanced equations, I need to know what is all equal to to make a fire extinguisher?
JArchy

Re: What does it equal to NaHCO3 + H2O + C2H4O2 = ?

Post by JArchy »

NaHCO3 + CH3COOH → H2O + CO2 + CH3COONa

This would therefore produce the CO2 needed for the extinguishing of the flame
Last edited by JArchy on Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

The fire extinguisher type A need more water. The CO2 is only propellent in this case.
Warner Mortensen

Post by Warner Mortensen »

The best fun thing about chemistry is the ability to predict and write almost everything. In essence, by this, I mean that you can conduct different experiments and then even predict and finalize the conclusion in terms of the resulting products. Moreover, even if you are a newcomer to the field of science and, in particular, chemistry, you will find how brilliant and soothing a chemical equation is. It is a piece of fine margins, and predicting the final equation through the help of reactants and their quantity is an immensely easy and entertaining thing to do.
When I was in college, I developed a great love for chemistry, and the major chunk of my reason to establish and work for this love was through these chemical equations and then predicting the reaction’s products. In the following question, you have presented forward a chemical equation containing only the reactants. Like every other chemical problem, the requirement is to determine the products and thus complete the chemical equation and reaction. First, let me begin by writing the correct answer and equation in full:
C2H4O2 (aq) + NaHCO3 (aq) → NaC2H3O2 (aq) + CO2 (g) + H2O (l)
However, below, I have listed some key takeaways for you regarding the chemical reactants and products once you break down this equation into chunks.
C2H4O2:
Acetic acid
Other names: Vinegar (when diluting); Hydrogen acetate; Methane carboxylic acid, Methane carboxylic acid
Appearance: Colorless liquid
NaHCO3:
Sodium hydrogen carbonate
Other names: Sodium bicarbonate, Baking soda, Bicarb (laboratory slang)
Appearance: White crystals, White solid in various forms
NaC2H3O2:
Sodium acetate
CO2:
Names: Carbon dioxide
Appearance: Colorless gas, Odorless colorless compressed liquefied gas
H2O:
Water, oxidane
Other names: Water (H2O), Hydrogen hydroxide, Hydrogen oxide
Appearance: White crystalline solid, almost colorless liquid with a hint of a blue, colorless gas