What do I have to understand in chemistry in order to master NMR for a given molecule?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

hananism

What do I have to understand in chemistry in order to master NMR for a given molecule?

Post by hananism »

hello everyone, thanks for reading my question
I have very few knowledge in organic chemistry, but I am doing work at the laboratory of organic chemistry, and my tutor told me to learn a lot to understand what we do.
We prepared a product which is C16H3O2 , and we wanted to use the NMR machine for it.
We used it, it gave us some results in a chart, and in order to understand this chart our tutor explained some of the things related to the protons of the molecules, and used the formula (n+1) to know the 'singlet' or 'triplet' etc..

I didn't really grasp the concept, or what he did exactly, it was quick, and I really want to understand.
Can someone suggest me a video that explains this? or can someone offer me some explanation about this?
Can you tell me what are the basics that I need to know in chemistry in order for me to understand this NMR thing and the 'singlet' , 'triplet' ..etc ?

Thank you so much in advance.