I read somewhere online that the compounds that appear blue have more conjugation than red compounds. Why is that?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Warner Mortensen

I read somewhere online that the compounds that appear blue have more conjugation than red compounds. Why is that?

Post by Warner Mortensen »

A conjugated system is one in which the single and multiple bonds alternate. The 1, 3 - dienes ring, which has alternate single and double bonds, is an example of a conjugated system. I do know that the ground and excited states of electrons in molecules with conjugated electron systems are closer in energy than in non-conjugated systems. This suggests that lower-energy light is required to excite electrons in conjugated systems, implying that conjugated systems absorb lower-energy light.
The real energy difference between the ground and excited states is determined by the degree of conjugation.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: I read somewhere online that the compounds that appear blue have more conjugation than red compounds. Why is that?

Post by ChenBeier »

The appearance of a colour of something is the opposit colour of the light what will be absorbed. Blue colour means red to yellow light will be absorbed and vise versa. So blue colour has more conjugation for this reason and vise versa.