Making Iron(II) Sulfate | Urgent

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Monteiro

Making Iron(II) Sulfate | Urgent

Post by Monteiro »

Basically, I'm doing a lab research and I'm short in FeSO4. I need a way to make it, don't worry with the purification part, I just need a north to look.
Already tried to react FeCl3 with H2SO4 but it made iron(III) sulfate

The lab has some reagents including:
Some old iron(II) sulfate that's yellow in color, making me conclude that it's iron(III);
iron(III) chloride;
I'm not sure if there is iron oxide but I think I have some;
Old sulfuric acid and a bunch of other acids and organic compounds;

There are more reagents than this in the lab but I don't know all from memory, so if you have a suggestion that includes other products feel free to share it. Any methods are welcome.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Making Iron(II) Sulfate | Urgent

Post by ChenBeier »

Take some iron nails and dissolve them in sulfuric acid. Or use iron nail to reduce iron-III
Monteiro

Re: Making Iron(II) Sulfate | Urgent

Post by Monteiro »

turns out the answer was on the simple things. even tho i wont have much quantitative control it might work out for my needing, thanks