Making Potassium Citrate from Citric Acid From Lemons

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

yerrag

Making Potassium Citrate from Citric Acid From Lemons

Post by yerrag »

A lemon contains potassium citrate, but not as much as it contains citric acid.

Because I like my citric acid and citrate to be natural, and not made from molds as industrial citric acid is, what potassium salt can I react with citric acid to make potassium citrate?

The reason is I drink a potassium citrate solution to increase the zeta-potential of blood, to keep blood from becoming sludgy and susceptible to clotting. Especially in these times when people are being vaccinated more and aluminum adjuvants are likely to be used, this causes zeta potential to be lowered and increase the chance of thrombosis leading to strokes and heart attacks.

Since the potassium citrate powder I buy is an industrial source made from molds ), it isn't ideal. So I'd like to make potassium citrate instead from lemon.

What is a suitable potassium salt that will react with citric acid to make potassium citrate?

Thanks!
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Making Potassium Citrate from Citric Acid From Lemons

Post by ChenBeier »

Potassium hydrogen carbonate, potassium carbonate and potassium hydroxide can be used.
yerrag

Post by yerrag »

Thank you!

Just curious, how do you determine which salt can work where its anions can be displaced by citrate? Is this a physical chemistry thing? It's been a long time since I took a class in physical chemistry.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Carbonate will be destroyed by acid to CO2 and water. So this can be used. Hydroxid get neutralization to water. All others have not effekt.
yerrag

Post by yerrag »

Thank you Chenbeier!