Mineral oil/Alkalis

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Marcury

Mineral oil/Alkalis

Post by Marcury »

Are all mineral oils created equal? Can someone suggest a lab grade mineral oil for alkali storage, or recommend something off the shelf? Thank you.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Mineral oil/Alkalis

Post by ChenBeier »

What do you mean with alkali storage. Mineral oil is a mixture of carbonhydogen compounds. Depending the area USA Arabia northsea, etc. the mixture is different.
Marcury

Post by Marcury »

I may have been a little too thrifty with my wording. Silly. Simply put, I have a little bit of lithium, sodium, and potassium. Small samples. I want to change the small jars they are in. I wondered, what oil did the supplier use? I should have stated it that way in the first place.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

It is called petroleum ether. Chemical Isohexane.