Have I Inadvertently created nickel acetate

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Hobo

Have I Inadvertently created nickel acetate

Post by Hobo »

Hello I was hoping someone could help me with a weird situation.
I'm wondering if I have created nickel acetate accidentally.

I left a box full of chrome vanadium wrenches (mechanics tools which I believe are mostly nickel plated) in the trunk of my car with a pressurized can of RTV silicone. When I came back to the car a couple of days later I found the can had sprayed its contents out over the tools which had left some tarnishing on the chrome plating but also some kind of small light blue/green blobs of hard but water soluble stuff on the surface of the tools. The RTV silicone uses acetic acid for curing. Is it possible the acetic acid has reacted with the nickel plating creating nickel acetate?

My concern is i have contaminated the car with a carcinogen :shock:

Anyone have any thoughts?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Have I Inadvertently created nickel acetate

Post by ChenBeier »

Probably. Nickel react with every acid.
But dont worry its only small amount, clean everything with a brush and normal household cleaner should be fine.
Hobo

Re: Have I Inadvertently created nickel acetate

Post by Hobo »

Thankyou for the reply. It's hard to find any information on how bad it actually is.

Does anybody here work with nickel regularly? Do you take safety precautions?