What happens when you mix Hypochlorous Acid and Vinegar?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

dpak80

What happens when you mix Hypochlorous Acid and Vinegar?

Post by dpak80 »

Hi There,

I stumbled across this website, after trying to Google what happens when mixing Hypochlorous Acid (HOCl) and Vinegar (CH3COOH)?

The website is great, and looks like it's a super helpful one in general.
However I'm definitely no chemist, and so, was hoping I (a random person on the internet) could trouble you with a general chemistry based question?! (I haven't had much success in trying to find the answer to the above question).

I'm considering using these substances to do some household cleaning (Vinegar for mould, Hypochlorous Acid for general cleaning) but am not sure if it's safe to have these mix (I don't intend to mix them in a bottle, but I can foresee situations where they will come "into contact" with eachother, e.g.: cleaning a surface with vinegar first, and then with Hypochlorous Acid straight after) - I fear there is a chance some harmful chemicals/gases could result from such a reaction (like if you mixed vinegar with bleach) - hence the question ... or would they even react, as they're both acids?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, and many thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Daniel.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: What happens when you mix Hypochlorous Acid and Vinegar?

Post by ChenBeier »

To add other acid to HOCl it will change pH. The HOCl get more aggressive and releasing Oxygen, in small amounts also Chlorine. The smell is similar to swimmingpool water.
dpak80

Post by dpak80 »

Thank you for the response Chenbeier!
The Chlorine would be in a gaseous form so not good I assume?

Can I ask what the chemical reaction formula would look like? :mrgreen:
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

First reaction is develop Oxygen

2 HOCl => 2 HCl + O2

Second reaction is to develop chlorine if enough chlorid is produced

HOCl+ HCl => Cl2 + H2O