Help with a simple chemical reaction

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Seren88

Help with a simple chemical reaction

Post by Seren88 »

Hey! This is probably a silly question, but would there be any reaction between the following, essentially Malachite placed in regular, room temperature tap water.
Cu2(CO3)(OH)2+H2O
There are many misconceptions about this on various web pages, such as it releasing toxic gases when it gets wet, but I cannot see any reason for this. Not being a scientist however I thought it best to check with the experts!
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Help with a simple chemical reaction

Post by ChenBeier »

Malachite is very stable, can be seen on copper made roofs. The only thing is that slowly coper get dissolved. So the amount of copper will be higher in the water. There will be no gas. Some carbondioxide nothing else.
Seren88

Re: Help with a simple chemical reaction

Post by Seren88 »

Thanks for your reply! :) I figured it was probably the case with my basic understanding, but just wanted to check further in case there was something I was missing!