Finding out unknown moles and masses in the compound

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Location: Mumbai[Bombay] and Mumbai Suburb,, Maharashtra State,India

Finding out unknown moles and masses in the compound

Post by Dhamnekar Winod »

A 7.49g sample of compound of C, H, and O burns in presence of oxygen to produce 15.0g CO2 and 8.17g H2O. ?

What mass of Oxygen was present in original sample? What is this reaction equation?

Answer:- We Know mass of sample of compound = 7.49g,
15.0 g of CO2= 0.3409 M.
8.17g of H2O = 0.4534 M

I think the reaction is \(CH_2O(g) + O_2(g) \rightarrow CO_2(g) + H_2O(l) \)

Now, how to proceed further?
Any science consists of the following process. 1) See 2)Hear 3)Smell,if needed 4)Taste, if needed 5)Think 6)Understand 7)Inference 8)Take decision [Believe or disbelieve, useful or useless, true or false, cause or effect, any other criteria]
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Finding out unknown moles and masses in the compound

Post by ChenBeier »

Why do you think its the right equation. Show your calculation.
According to the moles of CO2 and H2O the ratio C: H has to be 4:10. In Formaldehyde it is 1:2. So this can not be right.
The mass difference gives 15 g O2 from outside. Its 0.5 mol.
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Location: Mumbai[Bombay] and Mumbai Suburb,, Maharashtra State,India

Post by Dhamnekar Winod »

How did you compute the molar ratio of C:H as 4: 10 according to moles of CO2 and H2O? I am not saying the reaction stated in my original thread is correct. I just expressed my opinion.In the original question reaction is not given. You said the stated reaction is wrong. I agree.

Chemistry Professor on other chemistry education site has given the following answer:
mass of compound = 7.49 g

mass of CO2 = 15.0 g

moles of CO2 = 0.3409 moles

moles of C = 0.3409 moles(How is this computed?🤔)

mass of C = 4.0909 g

mass of H2O = 8.17 g

moles of H2O = 0.4535 moles

moles of H = 0.9070 (How is this computed?🤔)
mass of H 0.9142

mass of C+H = 5.01 g

mass of O = 2.48 g
Any science consists of the following process. 1) See 2)Hear 3)Smell,if needed 4)Taste, if needed 5)Think 6)Understand 7)Inference 8)Take decision [Believe or disbelieve, useful or useless, true or false, cause or effect, any other criteria]
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

You have 0.3409 mol of CO2 this is equal to the mole of C. Then you have 0.4535 mol of water this is equal to the double because water contain 2 H also 0.907 mol. That is what the proffessor also calculated.

So now you normilize these numbers. Set Carbon to 1 and divide the other. You get 2.66 for H. Now you multiply until the numbers almost not brocken. Multiply by 4 gives C 4 and H10.6 ~ 10, also C4H10

Then you do the same with the oxygen computed by the proffessor. You get almost 2.
So the formula is C4H10O2.