Neutralize the Propylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether fumes?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

BarkityBark

Neutralize the Propylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether fumes?

Post by BarkityBark »

Can you advise me please, is there any way to neutralize the Propylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether fumes in a room where it was previously applied in a flooring tile grout sealer product?

The propylene glycol monobutyl ether is the main component of a liquid floor tile grout sealer (MIRACLE SEALANTS Tile, Stone & Grout Sealer TSSPT6) that was applied to a new tile floor on top of a concrete subfloor slab in my home a year ago, which has since caused me a respiratory allergy reaction whenever I enter that room. And of course, there are other ‘proprietary’ ingredients in this particular grout sealer which the manufacturer does not disclose.

I have had the room windows open and fans blowing in fresh air for a full year to no avail. I already removed the flooring back down to the concrete subfloor slab, sealed the slab with Kilz primer, and also repainted the entire room with Behr latex combo primer/paint as well. No luck.

Thank you kindly for any advice you may provide.

Jim
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Neutralize the Propylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether fumes?

Post by ChenBeier »

Not possible. Has to remove everything what is contaminated with the stuff. It has law vapour pressure. Even open window will not help much.
BarkityBark

Re: Neutralize the Propylene Glycol Monobutyl Ether fumes?

Post by BarkityBark »

THANK YOU! This makes total sense vs all of the previous attempts I've made at cleaning, airing out, washing, etc. The only thing that has worked so far with the items it came in contact with has been to coat them with shellac.

1. Can you tell me please, if I soak my wrenches and other tools in isopropyl alcohol or maybe acetone, will this clean it off?

2. How long will it take to offgas to a negligible amount of fumes? Years?