Ideal Gas Laws

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

skycracker00

Ideal Gas Laws

Post by skycracker00 »

Hey guys, I need help with this question. Super confused on it. Here it is:

A balloon is inflated to 4.50 L with Helium, at a particular initial temperature and pressure. (It is tied off.) Now, assume that the temperatures and pressures referred to are always those prevailing inside the balloon.

Then, what would the volume of the balloon be when the pressure is reduced to 1/3 of the initial value and the Kelvin temperature is reduced to 1/2 of the initial value?

:shock: I have a feeling of where to start but what are the values of the initial pressure? That part is throwing me off!

If anyone could help, that would be nice.

crying is my passion
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Ideal Gas Laws

Post by ChenBeier »

Do you know the ideal gas law equation pV = nRT
So you solve for V
Change now p to1/3p and T to 1/2T
skycracker00

Post by skycracker00 »

Oh wow, that makes sense! Thank you!
crying is my passion
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member
Location: Mumbai[Bombay] and Mumbai Suburb,, Maharashtra State,India

Post by Dhamnekar Winod »

So, what is your final answer? What is the ratio of temperature to pressure initially and after making adjustments to their values?
Any science consists of the following process. 1) See 2)Hear 3)Smell,if needed 4)Taste, if needed 5)Think 6)Understand 7)Inference 8)Take decision [Believe or disbelieve, useful or useless, true or false, cause or effect, any other criteria]
skycracker00

Post by skycracker00 »

I got 0.0250 L. But that was incorrect... not sure what I'm doing wrong?
crying is my passion
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Initially, there was 4.5 L volume of Helium gas in the Balloon. So, what is your computed number of mole of Helium gas?
Any science consists of the following process. 1) See 2)Hear 3)Smell,if needed 4)Taste, if needed 5)Think 6)Understand 7)Inference 8)Take decision [Believe or disbelieve, useful or useless, true or false, cause or effect, any other criteria]
skycracker00

Post by skycracker00 »

4.50 L x 1 mol He / 22.414 L = 0.200767377 mol (not rounded up)
crying is my passion
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

So, Plugging all the available values in to the formula PV=NRT, we get the ratio of Kelvin temperature to pressure in Bar as 2.696927647572174. Thereafter the new ratio is \(\frac{X}{2} \times \frac{3}{Y}\rightarrow \frac{3X}{2Y}\) where X=Kelvin Temperature , Y= Pressure in Bar.

What are the next computational workings you made to arrive at the final answer of 0.0250 L volume of Helium Gas?
skycracker00

Post by skycracker00 »

Hmm.. I just inserted all the values into the equation V=nRT/P. I think I made a mistake though because I got a different answer to the one I wrote before. My new answer is 0.02746 L. Still wrong..

By the way, how did you get that equation? How did you come up with that thinking?
crying is my passion
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Question itself states my thinking. Question says one-half of initial value of temperature(X) and one third of initial value of pressure(Y). So ratio becomes \(\frac{\frac{X}{2}}{\frac{Y}{3}}\).Simplifying, we get \(\frac{3X}{2Y}\). That's it.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

The result is 1.5 x V.
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

That's correct. thanks. If, i am not wrong, the final volume is 4.04 L of Helium gas in the balloon.
skycracker00

Post by skycracker00 »

You guys have been a real help! Thank you :D
crying is my passion
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Its wrong. The result is 6.75 l
Dhamnekar Winod
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Oh, Yes. You are correct. 4.04539 is the new ratio of Kelvin temperature to pressure after making adjustments to their initial values. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.