Help with Photometry problem!!!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

confused2021

Help with Photometry problem!!!

Post by confused2021 »

The problem is : We will look at a solution called “sample X” containing water and “substance X" We have a path length of 1cm, an extinction coefficient of 0.06 cm-1M-1 and an absorbance at lambda max of .350.
. What is the concentration of substance x in our sample? At what concentration would we get an absorbance equal to double this? Triple?
The answers are 2.5M, 10M, and 15 M. I am confused by this because I use A = Ebc to get 5.83M, 11.67M, and 17.5M.

Am I correct that the problem is set up like C = A/Eb which is .35/(.06)(1), .7/(.06)(1), and 1.05/(.06)(1)? Any input on how to setup and solve the problem would be greatly appreciated!!!!