Capture of Chlorine Gas

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

JosephMSME

Capture of Chlorine Gas

Post by JosephMSME »

I am looking for a simple way to neutralize or capture small amounts of chlorine gas that are produced in my set-up.  I am trying to take time-lapse video of the growth of nickel dendrites during electroplating of nickel from a nickel chloride solution.  I am using nickel chloride because I already happen to have a ready supply of it and I am working with a limited budget.  Ventilation of the gas out of the building is not really practical for a number of reasons, so I am exploring any capture or neutralization options that do not produce any large exothermic or violent reactions and will not add significantly to the cost of my set-up. Thanks, Joe
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Capture of Chlorine Gas

Post by ChenBeier »

Take Nickel anodes. Then no chlorine will developed.
JosephMSME

Post by JosephMSME »

Thank you. That is great. However, I did use a pure nickel anode and saw bubbles being produced at the plating site. I assumed this was chlorine being generated. If that is not the case, can you tell me what these bubbles are? Thanks again.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

On cathode side hydrogen is developed, if voltage to high. Chlorine will be developed on anode side, if carbon, ülatinum or pther inert material is used.
JosephMSME

Post by JosephMSME »

Then I must have been electrolyzing the water in my solution. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Yes that is the case, probably to high current.