Help with pI/pH problem? Any input Appreciated!!!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

confused2021

Help with pI/pH problem? Any input Appreciated!!!

Post by confused2021 »

Hello. My question is as follows :Calculate the pI of Leucine pKa (carboxyl) = 2.4; pKa (amino) = 9.6; What is the ratio of COO- : COOH at pH 3.4?
For pI I get 6 (9.6 + 2.4/2 = 6). I am having great difficulty with the 2nd part of the question. I get 63.8% COO-: 36.2% COOH. I deduced this since 50% is dissociated at pH2.4 and 100% is dissociated at pH6. There are 3.6 units from 2.4 to 6. Since it is one above 2.4, I divided 1/3.4 and multiplied it by 50 to get 13.8%. This added to the 50% dissociated at 2.4pH equals 63.8% dissociated and 36.2% not dissociated.

Any help on how to reason this out to get the right answer would be greatly appreciated!!!!
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Help with pI/pH problem? Any input Appreciated!!!

Post by ChenBeier »

I dont know how this can be: (9.6 + 2.4/2 = 6). I got 10.8 you missed some brackets. (9.6+2.4)/2=6
But it was asked what is the ratio of COOH and COO-.
According Henderson Hasselbalch pH = pks- log( c(COOH)/c(COO-))
3.4 = 2.4- log( c(COOH)/c(COO-)) => 1 = - log( c(COOH)/c(COO-)) => c(COOH)/c(COO-) = 0.1 what means 1 to 10.
confused2021

Post by confused2021 »

Thanks for your reply. 9.6 plus 2.4 equals 12 and 12 divided by 2 equals 6. Looking up the pI of Leucine, I also saw it was 6 so I am pretty sure that is the right answer.

The 2nd part of the question asks about when the pH= 3.4. I do not believe that the pka is 2.4 when the pH is 3.4. Therefore I do not have the pka when the pH=3.4. This is why I am having difficulty solving the problem. It is unlikely that there is a 1 to 10 ratio at pH 3.4 because there is a 50 to 50 ration at pH = 2.4. Let me know if that makes sense.

Anybody who can provide any input on how to solve the 2nd part of this question will be greatly appreciated!!!!
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

The pka is a fixed number. It will not change. Change is pH and concentration of acid and salt. Otherwise the HH-equation is not valid.
Regarding pI i wrote you missed the brackets. 9.6 + 2.4/2 = 9.6 +1.2 = 10.8. But (9.6 + 2.4 )/2 =12/2 = 6.

Yes at pH 2.4 the concentration of acid and salt are equal, what means that the logarithm of 1 = 0 => pH = pKa
confused2021

Post by confused2021 »

Thank you for explaining. Are you 100% confident that the way to do the problem is using Henderson Hasselback equation and utilizing a pka=2.4?
3.4=2.4 + logA-/HA gets me a 10 to 1 ratio of dissociated acid (A-) to undissociated acid (HA). Is this the correct answer?
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

Yes that is what I am saying.
confused2021

Post by confused2021 »

Thanks!!! I am having difficulty understanding why 50% dissociated at pH2.4 and 90% has dissociated at pH3.4. That seems like a substantial increase over a short pH difference.
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

It is the same substance the aminoacid. It is a change of equilibrium nothing more. The same happens at high pH if you have more free amin.