Alkalinity

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

abo

Alkalinity

Post by abo »

Hello!
I have a question about the alkalinity of three water samples. I did a titration experiment where I firstly titrated seawater , secondly river water and lastly tap water with HCl. I used a color indicator as well in order to see the equilibrium point. Anyways this is what I got :

Alkalinity for 50 ml river water = 244 mg/liter
Alkalinity for 50 ml seawater = 128 mg/liter
Alkalinity for 50 ml tap water = 85,4 mg/liter

Now my question is why is there a difference between those water samples? And why does river water haver the highest alkalinity? Shouldn't it be seawater which has it ?:(

Thanks in advance
Best regards
ChenBeier
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by ChenBeier »

I think it depends of the geographic location were the sample were taken. Some areas are more alcalne or acidic as others.
abo

Post by abo »

Yes. That's correct. I digged myself deeper in this question and find some useful information about that. It says that rivers flow near mountains and through forests and therefore the chance is bigger that alkaline metals that is normally stored underneath the ground can be transferred to river water easily. Which isn't the case for seawater. Anyway thanks for your answer.