Help with finding products of a glorified combustion reactio

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

GMF

Help with finding products of a glorified combustion reactio

Post by GMF »

So im a senior in HS and I'm going to become a chemist! I've been working on an experiment but I cannot for the life of me find the products of the reaction online ANYWHERE. the reaction is mixing pool chlorine with DOT 3 brake fluid.
The pool chlorine is Ca(ClO)2 which is calcium hypochlorite and the agent that is in the brake fluid that is actually used is C2H6O2 which is Polythylene. Its a very popular reaction but I can't find out what it produces! I heard it produces "aldehydes" but that really doesn't help me.

I've done it before and it does react and produces flames and a small amount of thick white smoke. In small portions no flames are produced but there is a large amount of smoke. any help would be appreciated! I try to do all my experiments properly in a lab notebook and I want to document it and make sure I'm not going to kill myself with some deadly product.

the skeleton equation is:

Ca(ClO)2 + C2H5O2 = ?? ?? ??