determining the heat of combustion

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

daisy007

determining the heat of combustion

Post by daisy007 »

We did an experiment where we used energy from burning paraffin wax to heat a known volume of water. We used the equation q = - cp(water) x m(water) x ∆T (water)
to calculate the amount of heat transfered to water. The mass of fuel burned was then taken into account to calculate the heat per gram of fuel consumed in the combustion. (∆Hc = Q/m)

The expected value is -41.5 kJ/g, but the result I got is much higher, even though it would be logical for it to be less than the expected value because of heat losses.

I was wondering if this is because I didn't take into consideration the can in which the water was heated?
How could I incorporate the can in the equation q = - cp x m x ∆T to get a more accurate result?

Thank you for helping