Help determining H2S & O3 reactions!

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

Joshua Cutchin

Help determining H2S & O3 reactions!

Post by Joshua Cutchin »

Hello all!

I'm working on a book project and would like a little clarification on the interactions between hydrogen sulfide (H2S) and ozone (O3).

I'm well aware that H2S + O3 = H2O + SO2.

However, I ran across a 1985 publication ("Ozone" by Horvath, Bilitzky, and Huttner) that has the following paragraph, in addition to the above equation:
In aqueous medium, H2S is oxidized to sulphur [sic] in the first step and directly to sulphuric [sic] acid in the second:
H2S + O3 = H2O + S + O2
3H2S + 4O3 = 3H2SO4
I take this to mean that, when H2S and O3 are combined in a liquid (?) they yield H2O + S + O2? I can't find any reference online to this equation at all.

Any help is appreciated—my knowledge of chemistry is minimal, but I feel as though this specific equation may be of importance to my book!

Thanks all!

My chemistry background is weak.