Physical properties of alkane.

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

ani1985

Physical properties of alkane.

Post by ani1985 »

Hello,
Can some one elaborate on this that what will be the affect of branching on melting point and boiling point?
I mean I am confused and I got double answers....

Melting point increases with branching because they are closer together so that more compact easier to form solid thus harder to melt... so-- its increasing melting point
or
Melting point decreases with branching because they are closer together so that the less surface area and thus result in melting so-- decreasing melting point??
chem85

Post by chem85 »

N-alkanes contain the highest melting points of the CnH2n+2 Isomers. and its difficult to arrange a statement once you travel from no branching at all to branched chains as compare to what the extensive branching can do.