Determination of water content in monoethanolamine by KF Rgt

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

prtshm

Determination of water content in monoethanolamine by KF Rgt

Post by prtshm »

Hi,

Would some body help me with suggesting a good solvent for the water content determination in monoethanolamine by KF reagent (by titration)

Thankyou
expert
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by expert »

According to this source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Fischer_titration
it's methanol or diethylene glycol monoethyl ether
Remember safety first! Check MSDS and consult with professionals before performing risky experiments.
prtshm

Post by prtshm »

THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. BUT DI ETHYLENE GLYCOL AS A PURE SOLVENT OR IN RATIO OF 1:1 WITH METHANOL ARE NOT NEUTRALIZED BY KARL FISHER REAGENT,

AND FROM THE METROHM, SUPPORT MANUAL I HAVE FOUND THAT SALYCYLIC ACID WHEN DISSOLVED IN METHANOL THEN NEUTRALIZED BY K F REAGENT CAN USED TO DETERMINE THE WATER CONTENT IN AMINES. I HAVE TRIED IT, WORKS PERFECTLY.....

THANKYOU