symmetry operations and character table

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

kwkam

symmetry operations and character table

Post by kwkam »

I have already read a lot of books about symmetry operations and character tables, but I still find questions on this topic.
1) I don't understand how to define the improper axis, e.g.) how to visualize BF3 has S3 improper axis ?

2)I don't know how to write the irreducible representations. The question is "deduce the irreducible representation of the Px,Py orbital of ammonia with C3v point group", which angle of view should I visualize? In addition, what about the rotation of axis? I find difficulties with the rotation of axis, I really can't think of the direction of rotation togehter with the symmetry operations. does it mean the rotation of orbital ?

3) Furthermore, do I need to consider the (Pxor Py)orbital when the question ask me "deduce the irreducible representation for the three bonds of ammonia?

Can anyone help me to solve my problems? I have a test on this Wednesday. Thanks ~~ :?