Tanabe-Sugano & Orgel diagrams

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

MickeyMajk

Tanabe-Sugano & Orgel diagrams

Post by MickeyMajk »

Could someone please explain me the differences between those two diagrams?

Thanks in advance :)
chempass

Re: Tanabe-Sugano & Orgel diagrams

Post by chempass »

MickeyMajk wrote:Could someone please explain me the differences between those two diagrams?

Thanks in advance :)
Tanabe-Sugano diagrams are used in coordination chemistry to predict absorptions in the UV and visible electromagnetic spectrum of coordination compounds. The Tanabe-Sugano diagram is an adaptation of an Orgel diagram which takes better account of electron-electron repulsion effects and high-spin to low-spin transitions by dividing both axis values by the Racah parameter B for the compound in question.
MickeyMajk

Post by MickeyMajk »

Thank you!

Google didn't come in handy this time, so no I all I've got to do is translate it to Polish :)

Thanks again