Writing Net Ionic Equations

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

superrad

Writing Net Ionic Equations

Post by superrad »

"Consider the reaction when aqueous solutions of ammonium iodide and potassium phosphate are combined." Then I need to write the net ionic equation.

When I try to write down the equation I get it as:
NH4I+KH2PO4=(NH4)3PO4+KI

Which is apparently an impossible reaction. What am I doing wrong?
GrahamKemp
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: Writing Net Ionic Equations

Post by GrahamKemp »

First, determine which potassium phosphate you're dealing with. Monopotassium dihydrogen phosphate, Dipotassium hydrogen phosphate, or Tripostassium phosphate?

Second, just swap the potassium atoms with an equal number of ammonium groups.
----

Ammonium iodide + Monopotassium dihydrogen phosphate = Ammonium dihydrogen phosphate + Potassium iodide.

NH4I + KH2PO4 = (NH4)H2PO4 + KI

-----
Ammonium iodide + Dipotassium hydrogen phosphate = Diammonium hydrogen phosphate + Potassium iodide.

2 NH4I + K2HPO4 = (NH4)2HPO4 + 2 KI

----
Ammonium iodide + Tripotassium phosphate = Triammonium phosphate + Potassium iodide.

3 NH4I + K3PO4 = (NH4)3PO4 +3 KI