Hazards by co-existing acids

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

nikos_solar

Hazards by co-existing acids

Post by nikos_solar »

Hi,
does anyone know what co-existing, heavy acids in relatively high concentrations can cause?
we have HCl, HNO3, HF and H2O2.
Can anyone give any reactions between any of the above acids?
If they do indeed react, do they react in an explosive manner? Are they exotherm reactions?
Thanks a lot!
Cheers,
Nick.
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

Concentrated nitric acid and/or peroxide will oxidize hydrochloric acid to form chlorine gas, which is definitely undesirable. This won't happen unless they are mixed, however.

Aesthetically, concentrated hydrochloric acid will cloud up any surface around it with an opaque dust, which is why I store mine in a bag far away from my glassware and other reagents.

Hydrofluoric acid is all around hazardous even though it will not react with the other acids significantly. I would recommend reading the MSDS thoroughly and heeding its advice.

Concentrated peroxide, by itself, presents an explosion hazard if concentrated enough (over 50%). It tends to decompose into oxygen gas and water, building up pressure in its container. If the bottle isn't opaque, keep it away from light to slow the decomposition. Keep this away from transition metals; this could be a disaster. I've never had any trouble with peroxide myself, but you can tell the pressure builds up in containers that haven't been opened in a long time.

Keep all of these substances away from metals, especially the oxidizing nitric acid and the peroxide.

Mixing nitric and hydrochloric acid can produce nitrosyl chloride, a relatively toxic gas. This will not happen if they are merely stored together, however.

Here are the reactions :

Code: Select all

HNO3 (aq) + 3 HCl (aq) => NOCl (g) + Cl2 (g) + 2 H2O (l)

2 H2O2 => 2 H2O + O2

HF + person => bad news

:)

You're fine if they aren't being mixed, no potential for explosions here.