Cefotaxime to Cefepime

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

CPC

Cefotaxime to Cefepime

Post by CPC »

Hallo,
I would like to raise a topic on the synthesis of antibiotics.
As we know, cefepime is an antibiotic of the fourth generation which has a structure almost similar to that of cefotaxime (an antibiotic of the third generation) except the substituent at the 3-rd position of the cephem nuclei.
My question is that, are there any ways to directly convert cefatoxime into cefepime? Well, as for me, I am thinking of protecting the amino and carbocyclic groups and treat with TMS-I then deprotect and treat with N-methylpyrrolidine (see the scheme attached). Do you think that it may work or do you have any ideas?
Thank you for suggestions.
Regards,
CPC
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

Let me start by saying that I'm only a high school chemistry student. The only insight I can offer will be purely on the theoretical level and will mainly be from "The Organic Chemistry of Drug Synthesis" by D. Lednicer.

As a note, I cannot see your attachments for some reason.

For what it's worth, I doubt it would be as simple as throwing up TMS protecting groups and treating with N-methylpyrrolidine, as the implication is formation of a C-N bond forming a quaternary ammonium spontaneously.

Lednicer suggests a synthesis for cefepime that involves, instead of cefotaxime, a species with chlorine at position three instead of the acetyl that cefatoxime has. (Shown below) If there were a way to replace the acetyl group of cefatoxime with a chloro group, it would be as simple as adding N-methylpyrrolidine and removing the protecting groups.

Image[/img]
CPC

Thank you

Post by CPC »

Dear Zedekiah,
Oh, thank you very much for your dícussion. I have got a problem with uploading an image of the scheme of the reactions. Could you show me how to do that as I have seen you could put the image into your discussion. I wanted to attach a PDF file but I could not find the function.

Could you tell me in which volum of "the Organic Chemistry of Drug Synthesis" by Lednicer have you got the suggestion for a synthesis of cefepime?
In principle, the ester group of cefotaxime can be replaced by I when treated with TMS-I. I am still wondering whether we should protect the amino and the carboxyclic groups.
I appreciate your argument very much.
Sincerely,
CPC
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

I don't believe there is a method for attaching pdf files, perhaps conversion to an image, uploading to a site and then using the Image command will do?

Ah! I was unaware the ester would act in such a fashion. The book does state, in both cases, the carboxylic and primary amine group needed protection when modifying the C-3 position.

The only reagent named in volume 3 was "...the primary amino group is then blocked with chloroacetyl chloride..."

It logically follows that after protecting the carboxylic and amine groups, replacing the C-3 position with I and treating with N-methylpyrrolidine should convert cefatoxime to cefepime.

Volume 3, page 216 contains additional information about cefatoxime.
Volume 4, page 186-187 contains a brief section about cefepime synthesis.

Thanks for bringing this topic up to discussion,
Zedekiah
CPC

Post by CPC »

Dear
thank you for your discussion. I hope that I can get suggestions from you from time to time.
I have found a patent disclosing a way to convert cefotaxime into cefepime. The general ideas are quite similar to what we have agreed.
I give you the address of the patent in case you may be interested in.
WO2004092183A2.
Best regards,
CPC