Need help with pH problem

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

bjblenglish

Need help with pH problem

Post by bjblenglish »

2KOH + H2SO4 > K2SO4 + 2H2O (BALANCED PROBLEM)

In a typical acid/base chemical reaction, potassium hydroxide reacts with sulfuric acid to produce water, potassium sulfate and hydrogen gas. 150ml of 5.0 M potassium hydroxide is added to an ample amount of sulfuric acid. At the conclusion of the reaction, the total amount of water in the beaker is 418 ml.
?1. What is the molarity of potassium sulfate produced?
?2. What is the % yield if 21.3 grams of potassium sulfate was collected?
?3. Assuming KOH is a strong base. What is the pH of the potassium hydroxide used in the solution?
(I don't even know where to begin. I was told there is a formula for problem 3 on the internet any idea? This is for extra credit on our final today! Know one has answered the problem right yet. I would love to know how to do the problems) Thanks!!!
JENNIFER ENGLISH
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

To solve this problem with the information given, we have to assume the reaction has gone to completion entirely. Otherwise, we have no idea how much sulfuric acid was originally in the reaction mixture. It appears to me that the question is ambiguous.

1. I came up with 0.90 M potassium sulfate. 0.15 * 5.0 M = .75 moles of KOH. For every mole of KOH, you only have a half mole of K2SO4. This means you'll get .375 moles of K2SO4. Since you have .418 L and Molarity is equal to moles over liters, a simple division gives you 0.897, or 0.90 M with the right sig figs.
2. 21.3 grams needs to be converted to moles. The molar mass of potassium sulfate is 174.259. This gives a mole quantity of .122. This gives a yield of 33%. Dismal! :)
3. Here are some equations you'll be needing down the road :
14 = pOH + pH
pOH = -log [OH]
[OH] in this case is 5.0 M, so pOH = -log 5
pOH = -0.698970004!! Ouch, that's some basic stuff. Don't get any on your skin :(

14 + 0.698970004 = 14.7, the pH of your KOH solution.

Hope that helps!