Ligands and balancing?

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

meganba

Ligands and balancing?

Post by meganba »

I'm feeling pretty stumped on this one,if anyone has any suggestions it would be mucho apreciado:

So, we start out with a cobalt complex [Co(H2O)6}Cl2, + H2O2 + NH3 + HCL to try and form =>[Co(NH3)5 Cl]Cl2 + H20 + somesort of Cl ion (this is what my teacher suggested, I don't really get that part).

I've been trying to balance this baby forever,and the closest I can come is identifying that there was a redox reaction with the Co andd the H2O2 that went something like:
2Co2+ + 2H2O2 = 2Co3+ +H2O +2OH-

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to balance the Co complex to get [Co(NH3)5 Cl]Cl2 from [Co(H2O)6}Cl2?

Thank you!

-a very lost Megan
Zedekiah
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Zedekiah »

It looks like you're on the right track with the hydrogen peroxide oxidizing the cobalt. The HCl in the reaction hints that you're going to have to balance its reduction in acidic conditions, however.

Code: Select all

2e- + 2H+ + H2O2        -------->       2H2O
2Co2+       -------->      2Co3+ + 2e-
The overall reaction may read something like this :

10NH3 + 2[Co(H2O)6]Cl2 + H2O2 + 2HCl       ------->           2[Co(NH3)5Cl]Cl2 + 14H2O
I'm not sure what to think about a Cl containing product; if you have enough peroxide in solution to make

Cl2
it is enough to precipitate the cobalt.

Hope that helps! :)