Equation not possible??

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

jackmsurfer

Equation not possible??

Post by jackmsurfer »

I put in this equation on the equation balancer on this site (after trying it myself of course) and it said it was not possible but it was a problem in my chem text book so it either is possible in some way or they made a typo.

Na2B4O7 + H2SO4 = H3BO3 + Na2SO4

here it is with the states if it might be linked to them in some way

Na2B4O7(s) + H2SO4(aq) = H3BO3(s) + Na2SO4(aq)

again this is right out of a text book.
good luck
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

Hey there you go states do tell you something about the nature of the reaction since H2SO4 is aquous, There is WATER present in the reaction means it is dissolved in water to make it aqueous so your reaction looks something like:
Na2B4O7 + H2SO4 +5H2O => 4H3BO3 + Na2SO4
Your book isnt correct because usually in these reactions water is ignored .. hope that make sense to youu !?!

-Sharan
jackmsurfer

Post by jackmsurfer »

yeah that does make sense. i'll have to tell my teacher because she could not find a way to do it even after asking the other chem teachers. thanks :D :D
sharan
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by sharan »

Yeah lol you should tell your teacher!! but one typo in my answer i should have said your book isn't wrong lol since they just ingore water but the reaction proceeds in the similar way .. sorry !!

-Sharan