Bicarbonate of soda alternative

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

drfeelgood

Bicarbonate of soda alternative

Post by drfeelgood »

Hi,

In an earlier post (see link below) I've asked for help with neutralizing phosphoric acid using bicarb. Due to the large area of application (180 sqm) that adds up to a lot of bicarb, which gets costly.

My questions are:
1. Is there an alternative with a similar or higher ph to bicarb that might spread further or be cheaper to buy?
2. If so, do I calculate the amount required to neutralize in the same way?

Cheers.

http://chemicalforum.webqc.org/viewtopi ... 02dd7e3e21
AJKOER
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by AJKOER »

Depending on where you live, you may be able to secure powdered Slaked Lime or Hydrated Lime, formula Ca(OH)2, for around a dollar per pound. It is usually used chiefly in mortars, plasters, and cements.

Caution, Slaked Lime is a stronger base than NaHCO3, but less soluble in water. However, in highly acidic soil, may work well. Wear appropriate protection for eyes, lungs and skin. After applying Ca(OH)2 dust, wet area if possible.

Also, you may want to do an experiment on exactly how acidic the top growing layer of soil is by placing a small area of known size in a bucket and add Ca(OH)2 until litmus paper indicates it is neutral. Repeat this experiment over a much longer time scale (days) to address slow solubility issue. Using boiling water may obviate the need for a long time experiment. This testing not only saves money on purchasing, but avoid issues with having the soil too basic. Note, I am not a farmer and I would research the best soil pH for what is to be grown.

Another, but possibly bad (or good?) idea, add aqueous ammonia to carbonated water. Keep the solution cool. Do testing per above (but no time test needed as highly soluble) using your home made liquid Ammonium bicarbonate. My cautionary note is that it may react with copper in the soil (not likely but problematic) to form a known fungicide, Copper ammonium carbonate (toxic to soil fungus, bacteria, worms, insects, small animals and perhaps animals as large as cows eating large quantities of tainted grass), which may be either a blessing or a big problem. Also, NH3 fumes are irritating and toxic. Advantages for this approach may be its lower cost (depending on how acid is the soil), higher solubility over Ca(OH)2, more even liquid application, less caustic than Slaked lime, and it does add nitrogen to the soil. Alternate related solution, just use very dilute ammonia tested for dosage. More odor than NH4HCO3, and the more volatile NH4OH may not prove to be as efficient due to evaporation (function of temperature and humidity). Toxic Copper ammonium salts are still possible.

You may wish to test one or more of these ideas out before applying on a large scale. It would be interesting if the ammonia based approaches actually increase yield over Slaked Lime. Good luck.
ajkoer