ammonium alum

Chemistry and homework help forum.

Organic Chemistry, Analytical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Physical Chemistry, Computational Chemistry, Theoretical Chemistry, High School Chemistry, Colledge Chemistry and University Chemistry Forum.

Share your chemistry ideas, discuss chemical problems, ask for help with scientific chemistry questions, inspire others by your chemistry vision!

Please feel free to start a scientific chemistry discussion here!

Discuss chemistry homework problems with experts!

Ask for help with chemical questions and help others with your chemistry knowledge!

Moderators: Xen, expert, ChenBeier

skinmsn

ammonium alum

Post by skinmsn »

Hi I wonder if anyone can help me and give me the reactions of formation of ammonium alum thanks.
GrahamKemp
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Re: ammonium alum

Post by GrahamKemp »

skinmsn wrote:Hi I wonder if anyone can help me and give me the reactions of formation of ammonium alum thanks.
Ammonium aluminium sulfate is produced from ammonium sulfate, aluminium(III) hydroxide, and sulfuric acid:

1 (NH4)2SO4 + 2 Al(OH)3 + 3 H2SO4 => 2 (NH4)Al(SO4)2 + 6 H2O
KriggY

Post by KriggY »

or by mixing solutions of (NH4)2SO4 and Al2(SO4)3
-dissolve the sulfates in least amount of water at higher temperature, mix the solutions and let it cool and crystalize
skinmsn

Post by skinmsn »

thanks but i forgot write that the reactives are Al2(SO4)3+NH3, or +NH4(OH)

ill be grateful if you can help me...
GrahamKemp
Distinguished Member
Distinguished Member

Post by GrahamKemp »

The same principle applies. You'll also require sulfuric acid to balance the sulfate anions with ammonium and aluminium cations; and to neutralise the hydroxide anions.

Al2(SO4)3 + 2 NH4OH + H2SO4 => 2 NH4Al(SO4)2 + 2 H2O

Or equivalently: (Since NH3 + H2O = NH4OH.)

Al2(SO4)3 + 2 NH3 + H2SO4 => 2 NH4Al(SO4)2

Well, that's the overall equation. Of course, you might actually want to do it in a two step process. First, produce ammonia sulfate by exposing hot sulfuric acid to ammonia gas. Then mix the product with aluminium sulfate as suggested above.